Friday, January 6, 2012

Life is Beautiful



Life is Beautiful






This was a movie that was a bit on a lighter note than many other Holocaust films. This was honestly one of my new favorite movies; it made me cry and it made me laugh, and I know whenever I'm in need of a laugh I just have to think about "Princepesa!". There were a couple of scenes that were not expected; the scene when the soldier took Guido into the corner to shoot him, I thought Guido would pretend he was dead and walk out when the solider left but he was really killed. The father made up a game to protect his son, the story he made up with the points and the tank all saved the little boy. I feel like that was the incentive for the little boy to live, it was like a game for him and he wanted to win- if he knew what was really happening he probably would have had no incentive to keep 'playing the game'. This movie showed that no matter how hard and tough life becomes, life is a gift and we must find a way to enjoy it as much as possible because the duration of our stay is very short. The movie was composed in a way to show the positivity kept through imagination. I could relate it to my Holocaust survivor, Bela. When I met Bela he told me that he found humor in his Holocaust encounters. He would tell me that his story wasn’t nearly as bad as many other survivors but I think he convinced himself of that because during the Holocaust the jokes he would make out of the situations made it easier for him to get through the harsh times.

No comments:

Post a Comment